|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Pastor Werner
Worship Leader: Joseph
Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
|Greeters: Ruth, Guentehr
January 26, 2020
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
Songs: HWB 12 - Come, let us all unite to sing
HWB 99 - We praise thee, O God
HWB 25 - Jesus, stand among us
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Helena
Share & Prayer
Song: HWB 355 - Savior, like a shepherd lead us
Scripture Reading: John 15:1-11 (Page 1130) ~ Zipporah
Meditation: “Vine and Branches” ~ Pastor Werner
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
Song: HWB 373 - Thou true Vine, that heals
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (28th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome to
- Food Bank: Tuesday (28th) Hosts: Ben, Pearl
- Elder’s Meeting: Tuesday (28th) at 6 pm.
- Council Meeting: Wednesday (29th) at 6:30 pm.
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (29th) at 7 pm at the church.
- North Edmonton Ministry (NEM) Prayer Requests: God has opened several opportunities to strengthen
connections between diverse peoples in my own neighbourhood. (1) On January 25, our apartment complex is
having a Winter Icebreaker. Pray that people would enjoy each other and more connections be built between
us. (2) Pray for a new committee that could possibly form to re-envision a Northeast Community Summer
Festival, usually happening in June. The first planning meeting takes place on February 6. Pray that the
mosque representatives that I invited, show up and that churches who lost interest would be newly inspired.
- "Becoming an Ally - Breaking the Cycle of Oppression" - Book discussion group. "Becoming an Ally" has
been recommended by indigenous partners and members of other communities with whom MCC, Dona Entz and
others work. A monthly discussion of this book by Ann Bishop will take place at Randy Haluza-DeLay's home
(3823 62 St. NW Edmonton). The first meeting is MONDAY JANUARY 27th, 6:30 PM. If you are interested please
contact Jim Shantz at (email@example.com) or just show up. Randy has copies of the book available ($30).
- Please pray for the Chokpelleh family, as they have lost a family member.
- Pray for Werner’s mother, as she recovers from two broken hips.
- Please pray for Ann’s neighbour.
- Praise that Helena’s hand has been improving.
- Please pray for Betty as she waits for the final stages of chemotherapy.
- Please pray for Antoinette and family as they grieve the loss of her uncle.
- Pray for EMCN to find a new Director.
- Pray for the Joint Council, MC Canada's governing body, that meets this weekend (January 25-27) in Ontario.
Each of the five regions has two representatives - the moderator, Brenda Tiessen-Wiens, and a
member-at-large, Margaret Kruger-Harder. Also on Joint Council are MC Canada Executive Council and
Executive Minister. Allan Hiebert, Foothills Mennonite Church, is on Executive Council as Secretary/Treasurer.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to regularly attend church: Ray
Brubaker, George Varghese.
- Coffee and Conversation this Tuesday (28th) at 10 am at Lendrum Mennonite Church - Abe Janzen will speak
about low German Mennonites in general and LGM in Bolivia in particular with about 30 slides from his recent
time there. His hope is to increase interest in the LGM as a hemispheric people, an important population, part of
the global Mennonite community.All are welcome!
- The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community of Edmonton invites you to attend a special Interfaith event "Pathway
to Peace" - Religious Founders Day, on Thursday, January 30 at 6:30- 8:30 pm. We will hear perspectives from
speakers representing Judaism, Christianity, Sikhism, Hinduism and Islam on the "Pathway to Peace". See the
poster on the bulletin board for more details. Location: Northgate Lions Recreation Centre, 7524 - 139 Av NW,
Edmonton. Please register at:
- Hymn Sing: Join the Mennonite and Catholic communities for an evening of singing together on January 31 at
7:00 pm at Lendrum Mennonite Church (11210-59 Ave NW). We will be exploring the history of our music by
singing songs from the various eras. Everyone is welcome to join us for this time of singing and refreshments.
- 3rd Annual Trivia Night! Camp Valaqua's third annual trivia night is happening this February 8th at 6:30.
Both Calgary (Foothills Mennonite Church) and Edmonton (First Mennonite) will be hosting again this year.
Everyone is welcome! The cost will be $20 at the door and donations will be taken. Sign up with a team or as a
individual by emailing Kevin @ firstname.lastname@example.org (Calgary) or Dan @ email@example.com
- MCA Annual Delegate Session - Save the Date - March 20-21 at First Mennonite in Edmonton. Launching
year 1 - Encountering, Embracing, Embodying Christ in Life. Registration coming soon. You don't need to be a
delegate to attend! See what is happening in our Alberta family.
- Camp Valaqua - Summer Registration is OPEN! campvalaqua.com
- MCA Women's Retreat - Save the Date - June 5-7 in Sylvan Lake.
- The Great Winter Warm-Up - Thank you for helping us collect over 5,400 comforters on January 18! Your
generosity is what makes the difference! Did you miss out on the event? There are still events happening in
Alberta until January 31st! Help us reach our goal of collecting 6,500 comforters and touch the lives of people in
need while celebrating MCC’s 100th anniversary. Visit https://mcccanada.ca/centennial/great-winter-warm-up
for more details and to find an event near you. For inquiries, please contact Linda at 403-275-6935 or
- MCC Ottawa Student Seminar, Feb 20 - 22, 2020, Non-violence for Social Change: Active Peacebuilding.
Visit mccab.ca/student-seminar for more information. Travel subsidies are available - contact Carol at MCC
Alberta to apply firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-275-6935.
NEXT SUNDAY (2nd)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Joyce
- Music: Gordon’s Team
- Children’s Feature: Diane
- Scripture Reader: Bokolo
- Greeters: Doreen, Helena
- Usher: Eunice
- Food Bank (4th): Host(s) Doreen, Diane
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.