|Office: 9505 - 79 Street
Werner De Jong
Speaker: Jim Shantz
Worship Leader: Joyce
Music: Gordon's Team
|Greeters: Ruth, Guenther
December 8, 2019
Welcome to Holyrood Mennonite Church
Sunday School ~ 9:30 am
Worship Service ~ 10:30 am
Welcome & Announcements
Call to Worship
One: Oh God, our God, we cry out to you.
Many: Asking, when will you bring righteousness, defend the poor, deliver the needy?
Asking, when will you make harmonious creation?
One: When will your love, mercy, and justice rule us?
All: God, what are you waiting for?
Creator and Sustainer, you invite us to partake of all your goodness, to join you in the good work of
kingdom building - of showing your love, attending to the needs of the oppressed and vulnerable.
God, we pray for our eyes to be opened to your vision for your people, and for our hearts to be filled
with hope for your kingdom to come.
Responsive Reading: (from Romans 5:4-11)
Leader: God calls us to live with endurance.
People: We glorify the God of hope.
Leader: The God of encouragement calls us to unity.
People: We thank the Lord for the bounty of God’s mercy.
Leader: God calls us to a new vision for all of creation.
All: Let us all praise the Lord.
HEARING GOD'S WORD
Children’s Feature: Werner
Share & Prayer
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 11:1-10 (Page 725)
Meditation: “What are You Waiting For?” ~ Jim Shantz
RESPONDING TO THE WORD
John the Baptist did not fit the religious structures of any time. He wore funny clothes, he ate
distasteful food, and he preached costly peace. His solo voice carried your beautiful song. Forgive us
when our voices create disharmony with your people and your creation.
Restore our voices to join in your holy song. Thanks and glory be to God!
Benediction (read in unison):
May the God of patience share that patience with us. May we be moved to confidence and trust in the
One who makes all things new.
- Fellowship Breakfasts: Tuesday (10th) at 7 am at the Albert’s Restaurant in Capilano Mall. All are welcome to
- Worship Committee: Tuesday (10th) at 2:30 pm.
- Food Bank: Tuesday (10th) Host(s): Doreen, Florence
- Women’s Group: Wednesday (11th) at 7 pm at the church.
- Caroling: On December 13, we will join together with Braemar Baptist Church and First Church of God for
Christmas Caroling! Meet at First Church of God at 7 pm (9224 82 Street)
- Congratulations!! Praise God for the birth of a healthy baby girl, Bintu Kumba Chokpelleh, to Joseph and
Esther, on December 1.
- Faith Exploration Class: Anyone who is considering baptism is invited to a faith exploration class, led by
Pastor Werner, which will begin sometime in the new year. Please let Pastor Werner know if you would like to
be part of the class.
- School Kits for developing countries are needed. The average price per kit is $20. Contents for the kits
will be purchased and assembled by MCC in Calgary and sent out. Please give generously! Identify your cash or
cheque re: MCC School Kits. Thank you! Ruth Toews
- Christmas Giving: This year we are collecting items for the Bissell Centre as our annual Christmas giving
project. We request warm socks, thermal underwear, and warm gloves, which can be placed in our basket. The
items can be new or gently used.
- Christmas Eve Service: All are welcome to our annual Christmas Eve Service on Tuesday, Dec. 24, at 6:30
- New Year's Eve Service: There will be a New Year's Eve service from 9 PM-12 AM. More details will be
- Please pray for Werner’s mother, as she has Alzheimer’s.
- Pray for Victoria’s grandmother who has cancer.
- Please pray for Bonnie Jantzi as she starts her new life in Slave Lake, AB to be near her children.
- Please pray for Ginny and Ray Brubaker, and their family.
- Please continue to remember and pray for our members who are no longer able to regularly attend church: Ray
and Ginnie Brubaker, George Varghese.
- Prayer for South Sudan: Pastor Reuben Tut of Edmonton South Sudanese Mennonite Church has requested
prayer. Pray for peace in South Sudan. Pray for the restoration of houses, livestock, and communities that are
displaced by flooding. The flooding has brought more disease, but the people are without a healthcare system.
Riek Tut from the congregation is currently visiting the South Sudanese Mennonite Church in the Gambella
region of Ethiopia. He is visiting family and teaching during his 3-month stay.
- Coffee and Conversation this Tuesday at 10:00 at Lendrum Mennonite Church - We will watch and discuss Building Bridges - a short documentary commissioned by Edmonton Interfaith Centre for Education & Action and
produced by Eric Spoeth of Waiting for Waldemar fame. This film highlights the roots of interfaith conversations
and efforts here in Edmonton. Someone from EICEA will be with us to help facilitate the discussion. All are
- MCC Christmas Giving - Give a gift that is a meaningful expression of God's love! Gifts of food, water, hope,
peace and education. Purchase online at mccab.ca/christmas, in person at Ten Thousand Villages or the MCC
office, or call 1-888-622-6337.
- Snowcamp is coming! Youth in grades 7-12 are invited to join us for a weekend of food, fellowship, and
broomball on January 10-12. Registration forms are available in your church or by visiting campvalaqua.com.
Have questions? Contact the Valaqua office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thank You! The bathrooms at Camp Valaqua were in much need of an upgrade. Thank you to everyone who
contributed, participated in fundraisers, and helped make this happen. Renovations were completed a year ago,
however, the final payment was made this week. This is a reason to celebrate!
- Year-end donations: As you plan your year-end giving, please keep Mennonite Church Alberta in mind. To
meet budget, $164,000 still needs to be raised. Short-fall areas include Camp Valaqua (campership, operation,
facility), North Edmonton Ministry, International Witness, and MCA operating expenses.
NEXT SUNDAY (15th)
- Speaker: Pastor Werner
- Worship Leader: Sue
- Music: Joyce, Eun Jin
- Children’s Feature:
- Scripture Reader: Zach
- Greeters: Ike, Millie
- Ushers: Carol, Brock
- Food Bank (17th): Host(s): Doreen, Florence
Apprentices of Jesus to share God's abundant hospitality with people of
all ages and cultures through the power of the Spirit.